Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where is Kerri Strug?

Last night I took in a healthy dose of Olympics... and it continued to entertain me. First I enjoyed watching the great Michael Phelps continue to dominate. In the 200 meter butterfly, Phelps held off the field to win his 4th Gold in Beijing, but the race was much closer than it should have been. This is Phelps race, his best, and his best should mean a win by 2 lengths. However you could see his disgust as he threw his goggle into the pool once he touched the wall. He broke the record but he wanted to shatter it. Turns out his goggles filled with water when he jumped into the pool and continued to fill with water throughout the race. So he raced practically blind and still broke the WORLD record. Unbelievable. The 4 X 200 meter freestyle was a joke. Phelps was ahead by almost two lengths after he lead off and the Americans won by almost half a pool. They broke the world record by 5 seconds. It was almost boring.

When I got home I enjoyed watching the end of the gymnastics with my girlfriend. I caught the balance beam and floor exercises for the girls teams. I say girls because those Chinese girls are way under the 16 year old requirement. Are people looking at these girls! Listening to their voices! They are easily in the 12-13 range if not YOUNGER. I loved it when Costas was talking to the former American gymnastics coach in the NBC studio with his thick accent and he said "China was the best team tonight, but it's too bad they are all under 16 years old." That was awesome, at least someone is willing to talk about it. Anyways, I thought it was really awful that that one girl from the US fell during the beam AND the floor exercise. You train your whole life on these 3 minutes and you screw up that badly TWICE. I feel bad for her... but come on! Kerri Strug did it in the clutch with one leg! Oh well, I guess silver isn't too bad.

Ok, that was the rant for this morning. Coming up later today I will either begin my fantasy football rankings or post my top sports movie scenes. I haven't decided yet. Stay tuned.

Stay Classy,

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.